Listening to team members, encouraging them to speak up, but also making sure that the ideas are nurtured so that good ideas are seen through to reality is essential. Of course, this doesn’t mean that leaders should blindly implement all of their employees’ ideas, but rather nurturing good ideas, improving them, ironing out the issues, and eventually putting them into practice.
It’s not down to leaders to do all this themselves, but rather create an environment where their teams do this through:
- Amplifying their peer’s good ideas to help drive them towards implementation
- Helping to develop ideas by asking questions
- Legitimise others’ ideas, such as by sharing their own supporting examples
- Putting ideas into practice on a small scale to exemplify them and demonstrate their value
- Identifying weaknesses and troubleshooting issues to improve the idea
I can help you to create an environment that empowers your team members and help give others a voice. Book a call with me to learn more.